A dangerous chemical leak shut down Interstate 90 for 20 hours Sunday and forced the mobilization of a dozen first responder agencies from across the region to tackle the clean up.
Early Sunday afternoon a semi truck on its way to Moses Lake was stopped at the Washington Port of Entry after a driver in Idaho reported an ammonia smell coming from the truck. The truck was leaking trimethylamine anhydrous gas, and the Idaho State Police and the Washington State Patrol immediately called in hazardous materials crew to clean up the leak.
Emergency responders from multiple agencies, including Spokane, Spokane Valley and Fairchild Air Force Base, all converged on the Port of Entry, working through the night in a situation which Jeff Bordwell with the Spokane Valley Fire Department described as anything but routine.
"When you start messing with materials like this that are flammable and can take out people very quickly, whether it be by flame or health concerns," he said.
In total only about a gallon of the chemical was actually leaked but it's highly volatile and highly flammable.