A structure fire broke out at a Spokane Valley duplex Tuesday afternoon. It was spotted by watchful neighbors across the street. A Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputy happened to be nearby and was the first to respond. Deputy Walker went inside the duplex to shout an evacuation order, but both units were unoccupied at the time.
Fire crews arrived around 2:47 p.m. to attack the fire from the back of the duplex. Meanwhile two dogs were rescued from the units. More crews arrived and the fire was extinguished quickly and contained to just one duplex unit and the attic.
Spokane Valley Fire says the incident is still under investigation, but it appears the fire started on the rear deck. Damage is estimated at $60,000.
This isn’t the first fire to start this spring on decks, so the department hopes homeowners are careful about extinguishing smoking materials and do not leave hot barbecues unattended.